October 28, 2009

5k a Day -- not quite yet


Last Saturday, David and I ran in our very first 5k for Fields of Promise ($$ for schools in Ethiopia). He came in 2nd in his age group and I, well, finished. Please note in the first picture that there are people behind me so I was not the tail. It was cold and I had a cold. I perfected the clumsy art of blowing my nose, while sucking in breath, and keeping from completely stopping.

David loved doing this and is now addicted to running and medals and having something big like this that we do together. I, on the other hand, find satisfaction in knowing that I can do more than I ever imagined. The cold morning runs at 5:30 a.m. are not always pleasurable, but since I am usually half asleep when we start, I don't completely realize what I am doing until I am far enough from home to make the run back equal about 3 miles.

I told him that if we continue doing this, I want a cute Nike running outfit with new shoes so I can look great while running. He thinks I am silly, but he is a guy and knows nothing about the importance of looking good when you perspire (guys sweat, women perspire). And I am sure that bulky sweatshirt slowed me down!!

No comments:

Post a Comment