February 26, 2011

Photographer's Have Fun on Foggy Days

I love the way fog coats the Kansas landscape in a dreamy blur.  Today, I ran some errands, then quickly grabbed my camera.  The contrast of snow and wet wood lends itself toward black and white imagery.


I recently picked up a book on Ansel Adams and fell in love with some of his images of trees in the sunset.  I think I've tried to capture the feeling those pictures invoked.



While editing, I decided to have some fun with some of the settings in Lightroom.  You can learn a lot by playing.



This was looking through the above barn.  What I enjoy in this shot is the contrast of the tan branches against the dark barn interior, the snow laying a white carpet over the mud floor, then looking deeper, the contrast of the trees against the fog in the distance.  When dealing with snow, it is all about contrasts.


Finally, some color!  Here is a shot of a window on the barn.  I loved the different textures and how, even though they are hard and cold, appear soft and luxurious. 


Some interesting shapes in the scenery.







Here's a house I shot through the windshield.  The sun guard tinting on the glass gave a beautiful blue sky to this house picture.


Lawrence City Hall from the North side of the Kansas River (with some Lightroom play time).


And finally some buildings that I thought would make great backdrops to some urban-style portraiture.







Not a bad way to brighten a foggy, cold day!

No comments:

Post a Comment